Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sustainability Scavenger Hunt

Howdy! Let me fill you in on some important deets. As part of the fine print of the sustainability/ECOS scholarship, that I am getting, I have weekly assignments to complete and post on here. The first task was to make my blog and post a welcome post. Check. My next assignment, and I guess current, is to go on a scavenger hunt to find a list of sustainability themed objects/places on Furman's campus and take pictures of them. I'm proud to say that I found almost all of the objects/places. Some of them I was familiar with, and others I had to ask around, and when those people didn't know they had to ask other people and it was a mess, but I persevered. I had known earlier that Furman made a pledge to become carbon neutral by 2026 (that's only 13 years away!) but this hunt showed me all different sorts of green initiatives that Furman has already taken. There are 4 LEED certified buildings (and these are huge buildings we are talking here), a wastewater treatment facility, an organic farm (mentioned in an earlier post), a gazzilon solar panels, and a model Thoreau cabin. The Thoreau cabin don't really offset our carbon footprint but I guess its more of a sustainable philosophical message. I didn't find all of the things on the list. I missed the gardens that around Furman's lake that prevents soil erosion and promotes biodiversity. I ended up taking a lovely nap on a bench. Gotta love naps. I was really impressed by the amount of green things that Furman has invested money into to promote a better world. Furman could have easily spent the money elsewhere but I applaud their decision. Check back next week to see what the latest news as I journey further into sustainability science. Later skater.

No comments:

Post a Comment