Thursday, June 5, 2014

You're Hot then You're Cold

Before leaving from Greenville we were told that threw as a possibility of us encountering snow. After being in the Badlands and the Black Hills for a week and not seeing a speck of snow I thought that the professors were wrong and I had wasted 30 dollars on gaiters (coverings to prevent snow from going into your boots). After saying our goodbyes to the luxurious (it had power outlets and hot showers) campsite, Deer Park, in the Buffalo, Wyoming we set off for the Grand Tetons. I'm writing this after the fact but at the time I was oblivious to our agenda. We set off and after a few hours we saw snow in the Big Horn Mountains. 



It was so weird because once I saw the snow I thought that it was going to be at most 45 degrees outside, but it felt hot, maybe high 60s or 70s. The reason for the snow still being there was because the snow was deep. The last snow that we saw was months ago and our bodies we telling us that it is summer, but our eyes were saying the opposite. Some people opted not to enjoy the "gnar pow pow" ,as my friend Tyler says, translation: nice snow. I got all giggly and ran in. 5 seconds later I was unable to move because I was up to my thighs in snow. 5 seconds after that I got hit by a snowball. That was our first snowball fight. I'm not proud of the following events. My best buddy Elly joined in on the fight and engaged me in close combat, and I might have picked her up and dropped her into the snow and put snow in her face... I get carried away sometimes. 

An hour later we experienced the complete opposite, we were at a hot spring. Hot springs are awesome because the magma under the ground heats water to above 98.6 degrees all year 'round and people can chill in the hot water while thee is snow on the ground. The only thing that sinks about hot springs is the beautiful smell of sulphur. If you haven't smelled sulphur before, it smells just like rotten eggs. Mmmmmm yummy. The upside to that perpetual smell was that you could relieve yourself without anyone knowing. If someone smelt something you could just shrug and say it must have been the sulphur. 

Later Skater

No comments:

Post a Comment